Arbeitsvertrag – 7 things to check first in your Job Contract
Check the following sections in your employment
contract before signing it
Picture 1. (Source: Jaroslav Plotnikov)
In Germany the applicant usually is given 2 weeks to make a decision.
You have two weeks to check with your other potential employers and compare
all existing contract proposals.
Everything looks fair and convincing. The salary is correct, the boss
has also made a good impression. Why hesitate? This question is
particularly difficult when you have to choose between several jobs.
But even if it is only about one employer – you would like to be sure
that there are no “traps”.
I suggest that the following points be checked very carefully:
“Classic” contract components
- Name and address of contracting parties
- Date of beginning of employment
- Working location
- Brief description of the activity to be performed by the employee,exact job title, eventually also the department
- the salary components and total amount, including bonuses, allowances and special payments as well as other components like compensation for working overtime and their due date
- Working time agreed
The contract may also contain the following points:
- Duration of the probation period
- Indication of the validity of wage agreements if there is no fixed wage
agreement for the company
- Regulations for business trips and their compensation
- Regulations in the case of illness
- Expenses regulations
- Additional agreements, e.g. competition clauses, copyright regulations or
time off from work due to familiar reasons etc.
As important employee data is usually also being electronically archived
today, the employment contract must also contain a data protection declaration
specifying which and how personal data will be archived. The employee is
responsible for giving his / her agreement.
26.09.19 ©️ Jaroslav Plotnikov
( All articles )
Copy & share: